Dan Schwarz is committed helping people lead more productive and happy lives through amicable and final resolution of disputes that would otherwise take up far too much time and mental energy. Dan is no longer practicing law and has committed himself to dispute resolution, with a focus on employment and labor disputes.
During his 35 years as a trial attorney, Dan tried employment cases before state and federal courts and argued appeals to the New Hampshire Supreme Court and the Maine Supreme Judicial Court as well as the First Circuit Court of Appeals. Dan practiced regularly before employment rights agencies and boards in both states.
Dan spent the last 25 years of his practice representing management in litigation. As a trial lawyer, he settled countless cases and participated in hundreds of mediations. He knows what works and what does not. He knows the law and understands the strengths and weaknesses of cases and how they will be tried in the event they are not settled. Dan connects with parties on all sides in a dispute. That personal connection is essential to successful resolution of employment claims where emotions can run high.
Dan was listed in Best Lawyers for management for many years and was twice named Management Lawyer of the Year for the Manchester, NH area. Dan was trained as a mediator in the Superior Court under the original Rule 170 program, and for many years regularly served as a volunteer mediator in Rockingham County. Dan has also served as a volunteer mediator for the New Hampshire Commission for Human Rights.
My wife, Lisa, and I live in Portsmouth with our dog, McFly. We have four grandchildren who live within an hour – they keep us on our toes! I have been a Little League Umpire for 25 years and this continues to be a source of great satisfaction.
I am willing to travel and mediate in person or can mediate via Zoom.
If you would like my help in resolving a dispute, please call me at 603-225-0477 or email me at [email protected]. You can also try my cell-603-759-6513.
- Northwestern University, Bachelor of Arts 1979. Major in English Literature; Minor in Classical Studies
- Boston University School of Law, J.D. 1985
Professional CareerLEGAL EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
- May 1984-August 1985 Sheehan, Phinney, Bass + Green, Prof. Ass’n, Manchester New Hampshire Law Clerk;
- September 1985-June 1998 Sheehan, Phinney, Bass + Green, Prof. Ass’n, Manchester New Hampshire Attorney (Partner January 1, 1991-June 30 1998)
- July 1998-May 5, 2010 Flygare, Schwarz & Closson PLLC, Exeter, New Hampshire Founder/Attorney/Partner
- May 2010-December 2020 Jackson Lewis, P.C., Portsmouth, NH Attorney/Principal
- Resolution Services, September 1, 2022 –Present.
- September 1986-September 1989 Greater Manchester Center for Arts and Music, Manchester New Hampshire Founding Member Board of Directors, Chair of Development Committee
- September 1988-September 1996 Seacoast United Way Head Fundraiser / Attorneys Division
- September 1991-September 1997 Families First of the Greater Seacoast (f/k/a Portsmouth Pre-Natal Clinic) Member- Board of Directors, Fund Development Committee, Personnel Committee; Space Committee
- January 1997-January 1998 American Red Cross-Manchester New Hampshire Chapter Member- Board of Directors
- April 1997-2001 Portsmouth East Little League Umpire (Umpire in Chief 2001)
- September 2000-September 2009, The Music Hall, Portsmouth, New Hampshire Board Member- Development Committee Member-Nominating and Governance Committee
- September 2000-September 2009 Families First of the Greater Seacoast, Portsmouth, New Hampshire Member- Board of Directors, Personnel Committee Chair of Board September 2006-September 2008
- September 2011-December 2017 Families First of the Greater Seacoast, Portsmouth, New Hampshire Member- Board of Directors, Personnel Committee
- April 2002 to Present Portsmouth Little League, Board of Directors, Umpire in Chief.
- 2011-2013—District II Little League Umpire in Chief.
- April 2018 -August 2022 Greater Seacoast Community Health (f/k/a Families First pf the Greater Seacoast), Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Member-Board of Directors, Personnel Committee, Governance Committee, Strategic Planning Committee.
- February 2022—Present American Red Cross, Dedham Massachusetts- Transportation Specialist.
- April 2022-June 2022-Junior Varsity Baseball Coach, Saint Thomas Aquinas High School, Dover, NH.
- Listed in Best Lawyers for Management Law
- Twice Named Management Lawyer of the Year for Manchester, NH